Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sweet Taste of Success

The other day, i heard two people cutting down, at best, twenty meters away from our house. I took my camera to film them stealthily, but they were too many and there was a fear of them spotting me. While I was in the confusion of whether or not to go further and video them, I see a huge (30- 40 Ft) tree falling. My heart skipped a beat, it felt as if i heard the news of a dear one's death. I immediately telephoned, Mr. Mahesh Shirur (Deputy Conservator of Forests, Sagara division). He was very concerned and wrote down the exact location of the crime scene. He even refused to share my number and information with his subordinates because they could be compromised.

About 45 minutes after I called him, a Jeep arrives with four people in it and a motorbike with Mr. Vijay Kumar, Regional Forest Officer . What a personality he had! I'm sure the thugs peed in their pants by the sight of him. LOL!!

Four of the forest department folks went from either sides and surrounded the thugs. All this, I could see from our house. My aunt and I were watching tensely. After these four guards went in, the sound of the tree chopping stopped abruptly and nothing happens for a very long time. My aunt and I thought that the thugs fled and that the rangers are trying to hunt them down, but we were wrong. After an hour Mr.Vijay Kumar walks in front and the thugs shaking behind him followed by the other guards. The thug is Kalinga and the rest are his men and family (including his two young kids!).

By this time, the local villagers (which mostly comprised of two of my uncles and two other locals) arrived to see what happened. The thugs were caught red handed with a live tree (freshly chopped down) about 35 ft in length called "Salle" ( Kannada ) tree. The measurements of the tree was taken and the thugs were fined between Rs.8,000 to Rs.10,000 rupees. Considering the fact that the thug (Kalinga) was unable to pay the fine (It was to be paid to the forest department in the form of a DD), there was a case files against him and he is now an "offender" in the charge sheet. Servers the bloody murderer right!

Post this incident, my uncle, Sreepada Bhagawath and I went to meet Mr.Mahesh Shirur. However, that very day itself he had been promoted and transferred to Dharwad. Nevertheless, he gave us an audience and told us how to turn that part of the forest from "revenue" land to "forest" land. Later on, we met Mr.Vijay Kumar, RFO. I was extrememly intimidated in his presence but he put us to ease and spoke to us and promised to extend all the support required.
Hats off to the efforts of Mr.Mahesh Shirur and Mr. Vijay Kumar, those thugs won't think about another live tree for a long time.

This is exactly what I wished to accomplish and the efforts will continue, with rejuvenated force. With the help of such passionate and sincere forest officials, the goons who plunder our great forest will be brought to justice.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job.. This would be message to all the people who are destroying earth for their own greed...

    ReplyDelete